Hey blog readers. Happy Halloween. As many of you know, I am not a fan of Halloween. Here are some possible reasons why I dislike this day:
1. I get scared really easily so I rarely partake in any of the "spooky festivities" I even cried at the haunted house created by my church where Jesus walks thru with you. What can I say--I was a strange child and I'm a strange adult. I tried to go to the Zombie walk last week in Long Beach--the Zombies looked so real that I freaked out and went home.
2. I am not a big fan of candy, and it seems like a lot of work for a few pieces of free chocolate.
3. I grew up in Iowa so we could never wear really cool costumes simply because we had to wear heavy coats, scarves, hats, mittens, etc over them. SIGH
4. Going to Halloween parties where alcohol is served is CRAZY. Getting drunk and not being able to see peoples' faces is just asking for trouble.
5. SO many people think Halloween gives them a license to be racist, sexist, etc. I get frustrated when I see costumes that perpetuate stereotypes. I understand that it's the one day of the year where people get to go crazy and become whatever/whoever they want to. That's fine. I wish I could relax a little but it is very difficult for me to not see things thru an academic lens where culture is concerned. Some of my students think I'm pathetic and uptight; I like to think I am empathetic and aware. Next topic.
The other day I was scanning thru radio stations and came across an old school weekly top 40. This station was simply replaying a Casey Kasem weekly top 40 from 1986. I frickin loved it. Here I was 25 years after 1986, still driving a Mustang BTW, being given the opportunity to relive such a great time. I only got to hear the top 10 but it was so surreal. He was talking about Cyndi Lauper as an up and comer, how Don Johnson had a smash hit (Heartbeat), and how Tina Turner was taking America by storm. My God--it was so cool. I got to hear Robert Palmer, Boston, Tina.......I so hope they do that every Saturday. Who can tell me how Casey used to end every show? Remember his quote. I'm feeling so nostalgic today.
The letter for today is R. Here are some things that I like/dislike that start with the letter R
Reese's peanut butter cups
Random acts of kindness
Roseanne (the show)
Rotton Tomatoes (the website)
Rage Against the Machine
Rotton Tomatoes (the fruit/vegetable)
Rotweilers (they scare me people)
Racism (big surprise, I know)
Rockets (not sure why)
Research (unless it's on MY terms)
Riding in the back seat
Ok--that's it for today. Enjoy your day and thanks for reading.